Moycullen Historical Society
Cumann Staire Ruaidhrí Uí Fhlaitheartaigh Mháigh Cuilinn
in honour of a local historian, of international renown
Bunaíodh Cumann Staire in Maigh Cuilinn sa bhlian 1995. Bhí sé ainmnithe Cumann Staire Ruaidhrí Uí Fhlaitheartaigh in onóir an 17ú haois Staraí agus Scoláire cáiliúil, idirnáisiúnta, a rugadh I Mhaigh Cuilinn.
Mar aidhm ag Cumann Staire a bhí a chaomhnú agus a stair saibhir agus éagsúil amhairc, scríofa agus cluastuisceana Maigh Cuilinn a chaomhnú.
The society was formed in 1995 and named in honour of Ruaidhrí Ui Fhlaitheartaigh, the 17th century Moycullen-born historian and scholar of international renown.
Cumann Staire Ruaidhrí Ui Fhlaitheartaigh’s aim is to preserve and conserve Moycullen’s rich visual, written and aural history. Several books have been published including ‘Maigh Cuilinn A Mhuintir’, several monuments and plaques have been erected and various events have been organised over the years.
Some of our current projects are:
- Collection of ‘Field Names’ from landholders throughout the parish
- Collection of Folklore and Oral History from the area in collaboration with the local Active Retirement Association, The White Gables and the Heritage Department Galway County Council.
- Development of website in partnership with the Galway County Council/iCan project in order to showcase our diverse and wonderful heritage.
- Development of Moycullen’s Walking Trails
- Inventory of Moycullen’s Monuments and Sites of Interest on a townland by townland basis.
contributing to the site
You can add a comment about anything on the website by clicking on the ‘Add a comment’ link at the bottom of each page. You can also submit your own photos, stories or information to the site by using our contribution form.
becoming part of our team
This website is created by a group of volunteers. We’re always interested in welcoming new recruits, so if you wish to take part in any way, please contact us. Beidh fáilte romhat. Ní neart go cur le chéile. Cumann Staire members meet on a monthly basis from September to May. Details of meeting times are displayed on our Facebook page and the notice board outside Árus Uilinn. Bígi linn.
Chairperson: Mark McNally
Vice Chairperson: Tomas O’Cadhain
Secretary: Mary O’Shea
Treasurer: Mary Ann Feeney
Walter McDonagh, Maire Baker, Michael Baker, Tara De Renzy, Tim Griffin, Joe Loughnane, Miriam McKiernan, Hazel Morrison.