History of Stone
The stone used for the memorial was kindly donated to Moycullen Heritage by Welby’s Quarry Moycullen in 2014 and the inscribing carried out by O’Toole’s Spiddal.
The official ceremony and unveiling took place on Saturday, 29 November 2014, with the following itinerary:-
10.45 Guests gather Áras Uilinn.
11.00 Ceremony commences.
- Colour party to march to position.
- Bilingual Welcome and Introduction by Walter McDonagh Chairperson Moycullen Heritage, Peader Mac Fhlannchada Chairperson MCDA and Joe Loughnane, War Historian.
- Unveiling of Commemoration Stone by Ned Cusack, retired Colonel of Irish Army.
- Laying of wreath by Miriam McKiernan; Peter Rabbitte of St Patrick’s Brass Band to sound bugle- The Last Post.
- Minute Silence.
- List of those who died -read by relatives/friends.
- List of veterans -read by a member of Moycullen Heritage.
- Prayers said by Fr. M. McLoughlin P.P. and Archdeacon G. Hastings.
- Poem read by Mary O’Shea.
- Lament played by Fearghal Morgan Violinist.
- Closing piece by Chairman Moycullen Heritage.
- Amhrán na bhFiann by Peter Rabbitte.
You will find at the end of this post three lists of names identifying:-
- Men from Moycullen who Died in Past Wars
- Men From Moycullen Area who were Veterans of Wars and Armies
- Men and Women from Moycullen who were Involved in or were Victims of Ireland’s struggle for Independence 1916 to 1923
* These lists contain names of persons identified to date, and may not be exhaustive – we welcome hearing from you if you have further names to add.